First attested in the Samgang haengsildo (三綱行實圖 / 삼강행실도), 1511, as Middle Korean 결에 (Yale: kyel.ey). From 겯— (gyeot-, “to plait”) + —에 (e).
- Phonetic Hangul[겨레]
|Revised Romanization (translit.)?
겨레 • (gyeore)
- descendants of the same forefather; brothers; brethren; fellow countrymen
- gyeore sarang
- fraternity among compatriots
- race; nation; people
우리 겨레의 역사
- uri gyeoreui yeoksa
- history of our nation
말은 겨레의 얼이다.
- Mareun gyeoreui eorida.
- Language is the soul of a nation.
남북통일은 온 겨레의 염원이다.
- Nambuktong-ireun on gyeoreui yeomwonida.
- Unification of the North and South is the wish of the whole Korean race.
- 민족 (民族, minjok, “nation”)
- 이민족 (異民族, iminjok, “(literally) foreign nation”)
- 오랑캐 (orangkae, “barbarian”)
- 겨레말 (gyeoremal, “national language”)
- 겨레붙이 (gyeorebuchi, “brethren, german, sibling”)
- 배달겨레 (baedalgyeore, “(historically) the earliest Korean nation”)
- 한겨레 (han-gyeore, “(literally) one and the same race”)
- 겨드랑이 (gyeodeurang-i, “armpit”)
- 겨를 (gyeoreul, “free time (after work)”)
- 겨루다 (gyeoruda, “to compete”)
- 겨리 (gyeori, “plough drawn by the two yoked draft animals”)
- 결 (gyeol, “vicinity, layer”)
- 곁 (gyeot, “side, vicinity”)
- 켜 (kyeo, “layer, ply”)
- 켤레 (kyeolle, “pair, conjugation”)
- 띠앗 (ttiat, “brotherhood, fraternity, fellowship”)