Javanese (plural Javanese)
- A person belonging to the Javanese people (one of the indigenous groups native to Java island).
- A cat of a certain domestic cat breed.
Usage notes edit
As with other terms for people formed with -ese, the countable singular noun in reference to a person (as in "I am a Javanese", "writing about Javanese cuisine as a Javanese") is uncommon and often taken as incorrect. In its place, the adjective is used, by itself (as in "I am Javanese") or with a word like person, man, or woman ("writing about Javanese cuisine as a Javanese person").
Proper noun edit
- An indigenous language spoken by Javanese people.
See also edit
Further reading edit
- ISO 639-1 code jv, ISO 639-3 code jav (SIL)
- Ethnologue entry for Javanese, jav , a macrolanguage including: