Same as Mädchen with a different diminutive suffix.
- IPA(key): /ˈmɛːd(ə)l/, /ˈmeːd(ə)l/
Mädel n (genitive Mädels, plural Mädels or Mädeln or Mädel)
- (colloquial, central Germany and southern) girl (especially member of a group of female friends)
- Heut Abend treff ich mich mit meinen Mädels.
- Tonight I'm meeting up with my girls.
- The plural Mädels is used chiefly in northern and central Germany, while Mädeln is used in southern Germany and Austria.
- The unchanged plural Mädel is rare in contemporary usage.
- This word is often used by adult women to refer to their adult friends, e.g. Mädelsabend for a 'girls' night'. This usage is found even found in regions where Mädel is not otherwise used.