- (chiefly US, law enforcement) Special weapons and tactics. The area of expertise of police officers trained and equipped to neutralize armed or entrenched criminals.
- Often used attributively before such nouns as team or squad.
- While the specific meaning of the acronym applies only to the United States, the term is informally used in other countries to describe similar police teams.
SWAT (plural SWATs)
- (chiefly US, law enforcement) a SWAT team
- "This situation is out of control. We need a SWAT team," the policeman said.