- (military, loosely or historical) any pay or salary of a soldier
- Schon am Zahltag hatte der junge Husarenkorporal seinen ganzen Wochensold versoffen.
- Already on payday the young hussar corporal had spent his entire weekly pay on drink.
- (military, Germany) the daily basic pay of a soldier who serves less than two years, including (until 2011) conscripts as well as those rendering the substitute service (Zivildienst)
- (loosely) Short for .
- (figurative) pay, payroll, reward
- Er ist ein schamloser Lobbyist im Sold der Wirtschafts- und Finanzelite.
- He is a shameless lobbiyst on the payroll of the economic and financial elite.
Declension of Sold [masculine, strong]