Open main menu

Wiktionary β


RFV discussionEdit

The following discussion has been moved from Wiktionary:Requests for verification.

This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.

Current definition for noun sense #2 says: "A candy or sweet wrapped in paper with twisted ends". Is any candy wrapped with twisted ends called "kiss" or is it some specific type of candy that just happens to be typically wrapped this way? --Hekaheka 16:12, 16 June 2010 (UTC)

The specific brand is Hershey's Kisses. Equinox 17:24, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
It's a generic: google books:"chocolate kiss". That said, I don't know whether it was a trademark first and became used as generic, or if it has always been generic. I think it refers not to a candy wrapped in paper, but rather to a candy shaped as though someone has kissed some viscous substance and the result has hardened. In other words, that sense I think exists; whether the sense up for verification also does remains to be seen.​—msh210 17:54, 16 June 2010 (UTC)

Rewrote definition and removed rfv-tag. --Hekaheka 12:39, 29 August 2010 (UTC)

Return to "kiss" page.