User talk:Anatol Rath
Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contributions so far.
If you are unfamiliar with wiki editing, take a look at Help:How to edit a page. It is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
These links may help you familiarize yourself with Wiktionary:
- Entry layout (EL) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard. The easiest way to start off is to copy the contents of an existing page for a similar word, and then adapt it to fit the entry you are creating.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words can be added to Wiktionary, though it may be a bit technical and longwinded. The most important part is that Wiktionary only accepts words that have been in somewhat widespread use over the course of at least a year, and citations that demonstrate usage can be asked for when there is doubt.
- If you already have some experience with editing our sister project Wikipedia, then you may find our guide for Wikipedia users useful.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- A glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
- If you have anything to ask about or suggest, we have several discussion rooms. Feel free to ask any other editors in person if you have any problems or question, by posting a message on their talk page.
You are encouraged to add a BabelBox to your userpage. This shows which languages you know, so other editors know which languages you'll be working on, and what they can ask you for help with.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
Your recent translations from German into English contain many errors and are quite difficult to understand. Please refrain from adding English translations, because it requires other people with better English to do the work of cleaning up after you, or else it gets left there and makes Wiktionary seem unprofessional. —Μετάknowledgediscuss/deeds 19:45, 10 July 2019 (UTC)
Please tell me: is this complaint issued only in regards to today's translation or in general? Because I admit that I felt pretty dizzy today while translating and really struggled at some passages but I have previously added many translations that were never criticized, so I ask if those were taken into account. Anatol Rath (talk) 22:06, 10 July 2019 (UTC)
- I expect they were never criticised because nobody took a close look at them. But it was not just yesterday's, but all of them. [Here https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Konterbier&diff=prev&oldid=52749495] is one, for example, with some basic mistakes in the English spelling and grammar. —Μετάknowledgediscuss/deeds 06:55, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- I will stop. But I want to point out how I was thanked for two of the entries (Augenweide and Beiz). Please take this into account when cancelling the edits (which I expect you to do). Either leave it or ensure those two get translated properly because apparently they mean a lot to someone. Anatol Rath (talk) 10:25, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- I had taken close looks at them, and I was thankful for the sheer mass. It has been rare that I have noticed anything wrong. If one “yet notices that it is a translation” it is OK, I opine. It is not for literary purposes but one tries to avoid that the original is adulterated, and on the other hand boldness is needed to get the job done, but the job is not exactly to make literature. Though I sometimes do make literature – it is fele to file (example: عُقَار (ʿuqār)). There is even poetry I translated metrically. I want to emphasize that this is clearly supererogatory. Fay Freak (talk) 23:42, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
Community Insights SurveyEdit
RMaung (WMF) 14:31, 9 September 2019 (UTC)