See also: wand
- Wank (Ripuarian; now chiefly western dialects)
- (many dialects) wall
- The plural Wänn is used in Moselle Franconian and some southern dialects of Ripuarian. The form Wäng is used in many Ripuarian dialects, including Kölsch.
Wand f (genitive Wand, plural Wände)
- The words Wand and Mauer are often but not always interchangeable. Even when they are, there is sometimes a preference for one of them:
- Wand is predominant for all walls that are not made of stone, concrete, or the like.
- With stone walls, only Mauer is commonly used for freestanding ones.
- Both words are used for the walls of buildings. Wand is the normal choice, however, when one refers to them as seen from the inside (for example, a painting is typically said to hang an der Wand, "on the wall", rather than an der Mauer).
Declension of Wand
- Wand in Duden online
Wand m (plural Wënn)
Wand f (plural Wänn)
- (interior) wall