bottomless pit (plural bottomless pits)
- A pit with no visible (infinite) bottom; an abyss.
- (biblical) Hell.
- The Bible: Revelations 9:11
- And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
- (figuratively) An endless resource or supply.
- 1994: Asia in the Making of Europe, Donald Frederick Lach
- Lipsius was replaced at Leyden by Joseph Justus Scaliger (1540-1609), the French Protestant scholar who was known to contemporaries as "the bottomless pit of erudition."
- (figuratively) A person with an apparently boundless appetite; an entity or problem which consumes seemingly endless resources.
- 2006: The Club For Growth: Bottomless Pit (blog entry), Phillip Rodokanakis
- In other words, we will continue throwing good money after bad, trying to feed a bottomless pit's insatiable appetite for taxpayer dollars.
endless resource or supply