Borrowed from Middle French ressource, from Old French resourse, resource (“a source, spring”), from Old French resourdre, from Latin resurgere (“to rise again, spring up anew”). See resourd, resurgent, source.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɹɪˈsɔːs/, /ɹɪˈzɔːs/, /ˈɹiːsɔːs/
- (General American, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈɹisɔɹs/, /ɹɪˈzɔɹs/, /ɹɪˈsɔɹs/
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /ˈɹi(ː)so(ː)ɹs/, /ɹɪˈzo(ː)ɹs/, /ɹɪˈso(ː)ɹs/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /ɹɪˈsoəs/, /ɹɪˈzoəs/, /ˈɹiːsoəs/
Audio (UK) (file) Audio (US) (file) Audio (CA) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)s
resource (plural resources)
- Something that one uses to achieve an objective, e.g. raw materials or personnel.
- 2013 September-October, Michael Sivak, “Will AC Put a Chill on the Global Energy Supply?”, in American Scientist:
- Nevertheless, it is clear that the global energy demand for air-conditioning will grow substantially as nations become more affluent, […] . This trend will put additional strain not only on global energy resources but also on the environmental prospects of a warming planet.
- A person's capacity to deal with difficulty.
- a man/woman of resource
- 1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 17, in The Mirror and the Lamp:
- This time was most dreadful for Lilian. Thrown on her own resources and almost penniless, she maintained herself and paid the rent of a wretched room near the hospital by working as a charwoman, sempstress, anything. In a moment she had dropped to the level of a casual labourer.
something that one uses to achieve an objective
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- resource in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- resource in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- To supply with resources.
To supply with resources