brail (plural brails)
- (nautical) A small rope used to truss up sails.
- (falconry) A thong of soft leather to bind up a hawk's wing.
- A stock at each end of a seine to keep it stretched.
- To reef, shorten or strike sail using brails.
- 1993: The winds blew at their own caprice and there was brailing and loosing of canvas. — Anthony Burgess, A Dead Man in Deptford
- brail in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- This article incorporates content from the 1728 Cyclopaedia, a publication in the public domain.
Read in another language
This page is available in 9 languages