- (Canada) IPA(key): /ənˈtaɪtəl/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ənˈtaɪ.təl/, /ɛnˈtaɪ.təl/
CA synth (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪtəl
- To give a title to. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- To dignify by an honorary designation.
- To give power or authority (to do something).
- A passport entitles the bearer to travel to other countries.
- To give rightful ownership.
- To give a title to a book, film, play, etc.
- (give a title to): designate, name; see also Thesaurus:denominate
- (dignify by an honorary designation): elevate, ennoble, invest
- (give power, authority): empower, enable, qualify
- (give rightful ownership):
- (give a title to a book): name
to give a title to
to dignify by an honorary designation
to bestow the right to do something
to give a title to a book etc.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked