See also: eye-ball
Audio (US) (file)
eyeball (plural eyeballs)
Terms derived from eyeball
ball of the eye
- To gauge, estimate or judge by eye, rather than measuring precisely; to look or glance at.
- A good cook can often just eyeball the correct quantities of ingredients.
- Each geometric construction must be exact; eyeballing it and getting close does not count.
- To scrutinize
- To roll one's eyes.
- 2018 April 10, Daniel Taylor, “Liverpool go through after Mohamed Salah stops Manchester City fightback”, in The Guardian (London):
- Guardiola strode on to the pitch at half-time to remonstrate with the Spanish referee, Antonio Mateu Lahoz, but went too far with his eyeballing and matador-like hand movements. He was “upstairs”, in the Colin Bell stand, to watch Liverpool’s second-half turnaround and a dismal seven days for City take another turn for the worse.
to judge by eye