- To finish completely.
- I was hungry, so I finished off the last of the cakes.
- 2011 September 16, Ben Dirs, “Rugby World Cup 2011: New Zealand 83-7 Japan”, in BBC Sport:
- However, the hosts hit back and hit back hard, first replacement hooker Andrew Hore sliding over, then Williams careering out of his own half and leaving several defenders for dead before flipping the ball to Nonu to finish off a scintillating move.
- To kill.
- It was the blow to the head that finished him off, not the bullet wound.
- 2019 May 19, Alex McLevy, “The final Game Of Thrones brings a pensive but simple meditation about stories (newbies)”, in The A.V. Club:
- In some ways having Jon be the one to kill Dany was actually the least interesting option, but the symbolic weight of the truest believer finishing her off made sense.
to finish completely
to kill — see kill