See also: Fitting
- present participle of
- (informal, US, with infinitive) Getting ready; preparing.
- I'm fitting to go home and sleep.
- 1846, Lyndall Gordon, quoting Emily Dickinson, letter, quoted in Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickinson and Her Family's Feuds, published 2010:
- 'I am fitting to go to South Hadley Seminary [as Mount Holyoke was known], and expect if my health is good to enter that institution a year from next fall', she confided to Abiah.
- Ready, appropriate, or in keeping
- 2011 December 10, David Ornstein, “Arsenal 1-0 Everton”, in BBC Sport:
- It was a fitting scoreline on the club's landmark anniversary, and appropriate that Van Persie should get the winner.
- 2012 June 26, Genevieve Koski, “Music: Reviews: Justin Bieber: Believe”, in The Onion AV Club:
- And really, Michael Jackson is a more fitting aspiration for the similarly sexless would-be-former teen heartthrob, who’s compared himself to the late King Of Pop (perhaps a bit prematurely) on several occasions and sings in a Jackson-like croon over a sample of “We’ve Got A Good Thing Going” on Believe’s “Die In Your Arms.”
- A small part, especially a standardized or detachable part of a device or machine.
- (engineering) A tube connector; a standardized connecting part of a piping system to attach sections of pipe together, such as a coupling
- The act of trying on clothes to inspect or adjust the fit.
- (manufacturing) The process of fitting up; especially of applying craft methods such as skilled filing to the making and assembling of machines or other products.
- (chiefly Britain) A domestic moveable piece of furniture, which can be taken along when moving out, US furnishing (see also fixture).
- the fittings of a church or study
- (uncountable) The action or condition of having fits in the sense of seizures or convulsions.
- Since her medication was changed, her fitting has got worse.
- fitting room noun
a small detachable part of a device or machine
the act of trying on clothes to inspect or adjust the fit
assembling machines and other products, exspecially when an adjustment or adaptation is necessary
domestic furnishings or fixtures
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.