- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈdʒɝbl̩/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈdʒɜːbl̩/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Homophone: Dyirbal
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)bəl
gerbil (plural gerbils)
- One of several species of small, jumping, murine rodents, of the genus Gerbillus and certain other genera in subfamily Gerbillinae, with leaping powers resembling the jerboa, native to Africa, India, and Southern Europe.
- (intransitive) To rotate inside a monowheel or similar apparatus due to sudden acceleration or braking.
- (intransitive, slang) To insert a small animal into one's rectum (a sexual practice in urban myth).