- Movement ahead or forward.
- (nautical) Forward motion, or its rate.
- (countable, transport) The interval of time or distance between the fronts of two vehicles (e.g. buses) moving in succession in the same direction, especially along the same pre-determined route.
- 2019 October, William Barter, “West Coast capacity study”, in Modern Railways, page 66:
- Sixty minutes divided by the headway gives a potential figure for 'trains per hour' - the simplest possible and most simplistic definition of capacity, termed line capacity.
- (uncountable, figuratively) Progress toward a goal.
- (countable) The clearance beneath an object, such as an arch, ceiling or bridge; headroom.
- (coal-mining) A cross-heading.
clearance beneath an object
forward motion, or its rate
time or distance interval between the fronts of two vehicles
progress toward a goal