See also: heavyhanded
- Clumsy, awkward.
- 2012, Margaret Powell, The Downstairs Cookbook, →ISBN:
- Some people say, 'I can't make pastry, I'm too heavy-handed.'
- Excessive, overdone.
- 2015, Suzanne Lenzer, Truly Madly Pizza, →ISBN:
- However, recently I got a little heavy-handed with the red pepper flakes.
- Do not be too heavy-handed with the salt.
- Simplistic, lacking subtlety or nuance.
- 2005, Nicholas Rombes, The Ramones' Ramones, →ISBN:
- ...punk “music has been, and still is, one of the most heavy-handed genres of music there is. Unfortunately the topics of such heavy-handed songs are almost always seeped in left wing propaganda, bumper sticker rallying calls and oversimplifications of otherwise complex topics."
- Overbearing; pushy and coercive.
- 2014, Jayne Ann Krentz, River Road, →ISBN:
- “Heavy-handed, huh? Is that by any chance your way of telling me that I'm a bad communicator?" "No, it's my way of telling you that you obviously haven't shaken the take-charge attitude."
- Extreme; unnecessarily forceful; harsh, oppressive, and cruel.
- 2015, John D. Visconti, Fetch More Dollars For Your Dog Training Business, →ISBN:
- I cite how ineffective heavy-handed training methods are due to the physiological state of high arousal and avoidance behaviors they cause in dogs.
- (clumsy): awkward, cack-handed, clumsy, ham-handed, ham-fisted, maladroit
- (excessive): excessive, OTT, over the top
- (simplistic): blunt, crude, oversimplistic, simplistic, unsubtle
- (overbearing): bossy, coercive, dictatorial, forceful, overbearing
- (unnecessarily forceful): brutal, cruel, draconian, hardhanded, harsh, overstrict, rough, sadistic, strict
overbearing; pushy and coercive