From Middle English harsk, harisk(e), hask(e), herris. Century derived the term from Old Norse harskr (whence Danish harsk (“rancid”), dialectal Norwegian hersk, Swedish härsk); the Middle English Dictionary derives it from that and Middle Low German harsch (“rough”, literally “hairy”) (whence also German harsch), from haer (“hair”); the Oxford Dictionary of English derives it from Middle Low German alone.
- (General American) IPA(key): /hɑɹʃ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /hɑːʃ/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)ʃ
- Unpleasantly rough to the touch or other senses.
- Severe or cruel.
- 2011 November 5, Phil Dawkes, “QPR 2 - 3 Man City”, in BBC Sport:
- Great news for City, but the result was harsh on Neil Warnock's side who gave as good as they got even though the odds were stacked against them.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- (intransitive, slang) To negatively criticize.
- Quit harshing me already, I said that I was sorry!
- 2008, An Na, The Fold:
- Stop harshing on yourself. Who said you're the ugly sister?
- 2009, Richard Powers, Gain:
- “Stop harshing on me, Daddy.” “Harshing?” “Don't yell at me. I didn't do anything.”
- (transitive, slang) to put a damper on (a mood).
- Dude, you're harshing my buzz.
- 1999, Kurt Andersen, Turn of the century, page 508:
- On their third date, Lizzie had actually said to him, "You're sort of harshing my mellow." It made him wonder if she might be stupid, and not just young.
- 2003, Robert Ludlum, The Janson Directive, page 355:
- "They're mostly mercenaries these days. But whose?" "Serbian mercenaries? You're harshing my groove, man. I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that...."
- 2006, MaryJanice Davidson, Undead and Unpopular, page 776:
- "Getting back to the issue of the child," Tina said, harshing our buzz as usual, "I really think you should reconsider...."
- 2008, Kate William, Secrets - Page 70:
- He's totally harshing my vibe," Lila said airily. "Someone should tell him to get over himself. He's lucky I even invited him!"