From ideal + -ly.
ideally (comparative more ideally, superlative most ideally)
- In an ideal way; perfectly. [from 18th c.]
- 2004, Richard Fortey, The Earth, Folio Society 2011, p. 46:
- The summit of Mauna Kea is considered the ideal place to mount an astronomical observatory, for above the clouds there is only the stars and the skies are ideally transparent.
- Given ideal circumstances; preferably. [from 19th c.]
- Ideally, we would have one textbook per student, but unfortunately some of you will have to share.