See also: Appendix:Variations of "lang"
Further reading Edit
- Michel Ferlus, 2014, Arem, a Vietic Language, Mon-Khmer Studies 43.1-15, page 9
Alternative forms Edit
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [laːŋ˨˩]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [laːŋ˦˩]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [laːŋ˨˩]
- Homophone: làn
Audio (Hồ Chí Minh City) (file)
- (especially Northern Vietnam) a village (rural habitation of size between a hamlet and a town)
- (colloquial) circles; world
Usage notes Edit
- There are multiple words for villages and it is not always clear what the differences are, although it does seem to be a matter of regional and ethnic preference. Northern villages of the ethnically Vietnamese are either làng or thôn. Highlanders' villages are bản, and Central Highland villages are buôn. Southern villages of the ethnically Vietnamese tend to be ấp, while Khmer villages are sóc.
See also Edit