- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /məˈlɪŋɡə/
- (US) IPA(key): /məˈlɪŋɡɚ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪŋɡə(ɹ)
- (transitive, intransitive) To feign illness, injury, or incapacitation in order to avoid work or obligation.
- It is not uncommon on exam days for several students to malinger rather than prepare themselves.
- 1984, The Psychiatric Quarterly, Volume 56
- It has been the impression of past investigators that persons who malinger psychosis have latent tendencies for the condition.
to feign illness