See also: médiéval
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌmɛd.i.ˈiː.vəl/, /ˌmiː.di.ˈiː.vəl/, /mɪd.ˈiː.vəl/
- (General American) IPA(key): /mɪd.ˈi.vəl/, /ˌmɛdi.ˈi.vəl/
- Of or relating to the Middle Ages, the period from approximately 500 to 1500 AD.
- Having characteristics associated with the Middle Ages in popular, modern cultural perception:
- 1969 March 24, New York Magazine, page 58:
- Brute force can get you into any apartment if you want to get medieval about it.
- 2003, Robert Ludlum, The Janson Directive, page 579:
- "Oh, what a nifty idea," Collins said dryly. "Get a bunch of angry brothers with a blowtorch and some pliers and get medieval on his ass."
Terms derived from medieval
of or relating to the Middle Ages
having characteristics associated with the Middle Ages
brutal — see brutal
medieval (plural medievals)
- Someone living in the Middle Ages.
- A medieval example (of something aforementioned or understood from context).
- Thank God for modern remedies: the medievals were often useless or even harmful.
a medieval thing
someone living in the Middle Ages
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /mə.di.əˈval/
- (Central) IPA(key): /mə.di.əˈbal/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /me.di.eˈval/
medieval (masculine and feminine plural medievals)