- (now rare) The quality of being intermediate between two extremes; a mean.
- (obsolete) A middle course of action; moderation, balance.
- 1621, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069; The Anatomy of Melancholy: […], 2nd corrected and augmented edition, Oxford: Printed by John Lichfield and James Short, for Henry Cripps, 1624, OCLC 54573970, (please specify |partition=1, 2, or 3):, New York Review Books 2001, p.273:
- In adversity I wish for prosperity, and in prosperity I am afraid of adversity. What mediocrity may be found?
- (uncountable) The condition of being mediocre; having only an average degree of quality, skills etc.; no better than standard.
- An individual with mediocre abilities or achievements.
condition of being mediocre