From the Greek goddess of retribution Nemesis.
nemesis (plural nemeses)
- (chiefly Canada, US) An archenemy
- Batman is in constant conflict with his nemesis, The Joker.
- (chiefly non-North American usage) A person or character who specifically brings about the downfall of another person or character.
- The principle of retributive justice.
- (usually in the singular, formal) A punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided.
- The polar opposite of a character.
- A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
archenemy — see archenemy
punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided
righteous infliction of retribution
nemesis f (genitive nemesis); third declension
Third declension, alternative accusative singular in -im, alternative ablative singular in -ī and accusative plural in -īs.