- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌəʊvəˈ(h)wɛlmɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌoʊvɚˈ(h)wɛlmɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Overpowering, staggering, or irresistibly strong.
- 1960 December, Voyageur, “The Mountain Railways of the Bernese Oberland”, in Trains Illustrated, page 754:
- It is this stretch which provides what is perhaps the most staggering scenic prospect of all; the impression made on the mind by the overwhelming height of the Eiger, towering over the train, is almost impossible to describe.
- Very great or intense.
Derived terms edit
overwhelming (plural overwhelmings)
- A situation of being overwhelmed.
- 2013, David Ford, Theology: A Very Short Introduction, page 9:
- They have centuries of premodern experience in coping with being overwhelmed in multiple ways—not only by God, but also by other overwhelmings that have always been part of the human condition, such as disease, famine, war […]