Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) To keep or preserve for the winter.
- It is best to overwinter tender plants indoors.
2014 April 8, Helen Yemm, “Thorny problems: How can I revive a forsythia hedge? [print version 5 April 2014, p. G9]”, in The Daily Telegraph (Gardening), London:
- We overwinter our blueberry bushes in an unheated greenhouse, but when re-tubbed this year they will be too big to move. What are their chances of surviving winter outside?
- (intransitive) To spend the winter (in a particular place).
- Insects may overwinter in fallen fruit if it is not removed.
to keep or preserve for the winter
to spend the winter (in a particular place)