Contracted form of reconnaissance.
recon (countable and uncountable, plural recons)
- (chiefly US, military slang) reconnaissance.
recon (third-person singular simple present recons, present participle reconning, simple past and past participle reconned)
- (chiefly US, military slang) reconnoiter.
- recce (British, Canadian)
Contracted form of recombination + -on, coined by American molecular biologist Seymour Benzer in 1957 as " […] the smallest element in the one-dimensional array that is interchangeable (but not divisible) by genetic recombination."
recon (plural recons)
- (genetics) The smallest genetic unit that is capable of undergoing recombination.
- ^ Seymour Benzer (1957) , “The elementary units of heredity”, in McElroy WD, Glass B, editors, The Chemical Basis of Heredity, Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins Press, page 71