- Whatever remains after something else has been removed.
- (chemistry) The substance that remains after evaporation, distillation, filtration or any similar process.
- (biochemistry) A molecule that is released from a polymer after bonds between neighbouring monomers are broken, such as an amino acid in a polypeptide chain.
- (law) Whatever property or effects are left in an estate after payment of all debts, other charges and deduction of what is specifically bequeathed by the testator.
- (mathematics) A form of complex number, proportional to the contour integral of a meromorphic function along a path enclosing one of its singularities.
substance that remains after evaporation, distillation, filtration
property or effects remaining in an estate after deduction of debts, charges and bequests