See also: résistance
- The act of resisting, or the capacity to resist.
- Synonym: opposition
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, in The China Governess:
- When Timothy and Julia hurried up the staircase to the bedroom floor, where a considerable commotion was taking place, Tim took Barry Leach with him. […]. The captive made no resistance and came not only quietly but in a series of eager little rushes like a timid dog on a choke chain.
- widespread resistance to the new urban development plans
- the resistance of bacteria to certain antibiotics
- (physics) A force that tends to oppose motion.
- (physics) Electrical resistance.
- An underground organisation engaged in a struggle for liberation from forceful occupation; a resistance movement.
- air resistance
- collision resistance
- electrical resistance
- impact resistance
- Kapitza resistance
- ohmic resistance
- ozone resistance
- pre-image resistance
- rolling resistance
- strong collision resistance
- tax resistance
act of resisting
force that tends to oppose motion
shortened form of electrical resistance
underground organization struggling for liberation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked