- Not requiring external or additional support; complete in itself.
- a self-contained apartment
- a self-contained classroom
- 1961 February, R. K. Evans, “The role of research on British Railways”, in Trains Illustrated, page 92:
- Each of these can be further sub-divided into self-contained divisions; the technical research department, for example, includes Engineering and Chemical Divisions.
- 2020 December 16, Chris Howe, “Merseyrail sets its sights on network expansion”, in Rail, page 34:
- Merseyrail is, in effect, a self-contained network with eight termini. At six of these [...], passengers can transfer onto national rail network services.
- (of a person) Wrapped up in oneself; reserved.
not requiring external or additional support