From Middle English stepchild, stepchyld, from Old English stēopċild (“stepchild”), equivalent to step- + child. Compare Dutch stiefkind (“stepchild”), German Stiefkind (“stepchild”), Swedish styvbarn (“stepchild”).
- Hyphenation: step‧child
stepchild (plural stepchildren)
- The child of one's spouse but not one's own.
- (obsolete) A bereaved child; one who has lost father or mother.
- (child of one's spouse but not one's own): stepbairn (Britain dialectal, chiefly Scotland), stepkid (informal)
- (bereaved child): orphan
the child of one's spouse from his or her previous partner
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Category:English words prefixed with step-
- half-sibling, half-brother, half-sister
- step-grandchild, step-grandson, step-granddaughter
- step-niece, step-nephew, step-cousin
- English: stepchild