subtitle (plural subtitles)
- A heading below or after a title.
- Textual versions of the dialog in films, usually displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- 1995, Richard Klein, “Introduction”, in Cigarettes are sublime, Paperback edition, Durham: Duke University Press, published 1993, →ISBN, OCLC 613939086, page 9:
- Careful viewers have long observed that in the movies, one can not only watch but read cigarettes like subtitles — translating the action on the screen into another language which the camera registers but rarely foregrounds, a part of the thickness of the medium which is almost never brought into focus. […] The cigarette in the scene serves as a subtext, a mute caption or subtitle, sometimes accompanying, sometimes contradicting or diverting the explicit premise of the action or the open meaning of signs.
heading below a title
textual versions of the dialog in films
- To create subtitles for the dialog in a film.
to create subtitles