- (nautical) Any structure built above the top full deck (FM 55-501).
- Any material structure or edifice built on something else; that which is raised on a foundation or basis.
- (sometimes figuratively) All that part of a building above the basement.
- (Britain, railroad) The sleepers and fastenings, in distinction from the roadbed.
- (Marxism) The social sphere of ideology which includes religion, art, politics, law and all traditional values.
- Antonym: infrastructure
- 1995, Richard Appignanesi; Chris Garratt, Postmodernism for Beginners, Icon Books, →ISBN, page 9:
- The superstructure evolves more slowly and is more resistant to change than the economic infrastructure, especially in the modern industrial age of advanced capitalism.
nautical: structure above deck