1614. Borrowed from Latin valedīcere, present active infinitive of valedīcō (“bid farewell”), from valē, imperative of valeō (“I am well”), + dīcō (“say”).
valediction (plural valedictions)
- A speech made when leaving or parting company.
- The act of parting company.
- A word or phrase (such as adieu or farewell) said upon leaving.
- A word or phrase used to end a letter or message.
- (phrase ending letter): complimentary close, complimentary closing
- (phrase ending message): sincerely
word or phrase upon leaving
word or phrase to end a letter or message