Audio (AU) (file)
- A heavy snowstorm; a blizzard.
- Any weather condition in which visibility and contrast are severely reduced by snow or sand causing the horizon and physical features of the terrain to disappear.
- Correction fluid (from the brand name Wite-Out).
- (sports, slang) A sporting event where all in attendance are urged to wear white apparel.
- (computing) The simulated erasure of a file, etc. on a read-only volume.
- The suppression of a story by the media, analogously to deleting information with correction fluid.
- 1986, Atlantis - Volume 12, page 174:
- Despite the media whiteout, we believe our weapon flashing had communicated the important political message that the nuclear mentality and the masculine mentality are intimately connected.
- 1992, Mid-American Review - Volume 13, page 97:
- The slightest reference to national security is accepted as excuse enough for a news whiteout.
- 1998, Ian Loveland, Importing the First Amendment:
- What, for example, have the protagonists of the First Amendment to say about the media whiteout in the United States on the work of such a distinguished radical as Noam Chomsky?
- 1998, Extra!: The Newsletter of FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting)., page 8:
- "Who Put the Black Face on Poverty," the show asked. Well, the mainstream media "whiteout" of the story provides a clue.
- The silencing of voices and perspectives other than those of white men.
- 2012, H. Samy Alim, Geneva Smitherman, Articulate While Black: Barack Obama, Language, and Race in the U.S., →ISBN:
- While it represented a symbolic break from the “whiteout” on the US presidency, it was also, obviously, the most racialized campaign in American history.
- 2013, Beretta E. Smith-Shomade, Watching While Black: Centering the Television of Black Audiences, →ISBN:
- Closer to home, I thought about how that same “whiteout” existed in U.S. scholarship on television production and viewership and their cultural flows.
- 2015, Niinana Kweku, Whiteout, →ISBN:
- We must return to a time where whiteout will no longer exist in our thinking process, and remember, black is not just a color but a totally different way of being.
correction fluid — see correction fluid