zero in on
Audio (AU) (file)
- To adjust one's aim until precisely pointing at (a target).
- The pilot zeroed in on the bunker and launched a guided missile.
- To successfully narrow down a search for.
- We have zeroed in on the source of the problem.
- See if you can zero in on the caller.
- To concentrate or focus one's attention on (a task).
- One member of the check fraud team will zero in on the fingerprints.
- (idiomatic) To converge on.
- At the spring sale, everyone zeroed in on the bargain clothes.
- 2019, Barney Ronay, Liverpool’s waves of red fury and recklessness end in joyous bedlam (in The Guardian, 8 May 2019)
- With 79 minutes gone, the most celebrated team of the modern age had been reduced to bunch of mooching, stumbling yellow-shirted spectators. A Champions League season that had seemed to be zeroing in on another coronation for Lionel Messi had been wrenched, gleefully, the other way.
narrow down a search
concentrate or focus