- (transitive) to surrender
- He was surrounded, so gave himself up.
- They gave him up to the police.
- (transitive) to stop or desist; to quit
- They gave up the search when it got dark.
- (transitive) to relinquish
- He gave up his seat to an old man.
- 1816: Jane Austen, Emma, Volume 1 Chapter 7
- "You could not have visited me!" she cried, looking aghast. "No, to be sure you could not; but I never thought of that before. That would have been too dreadful!--What an escape!--Dear Miss Woodhouse, I would not give up the pleasure and honour of being intimate with you for any thing in the world."
- (transitive) to lose hope
- They gave him up for dead.
- (transitive) to abandon
- I gave up my faith years ago.
- (intransitive) to admit defeat, to capitulate
- OK, I give up, you win.