- A gap in a series, making it incomplete.
- An interruption, break or pause.
- A vacation, break from work.
- The band took a hiatus for three months.
- (geology) A gap in geological strata.
- (anatomy) An opening in an organ.
- Hiatus aorticus is an opening in the diaphragm through which aorta and thoracic duct pass.
- break (1)
gap in a series
interruption, break or pause
gap in geological strata
anatomy: opening in an organ
syllable break between two vowels
condition of having such a break
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (linguistics) A hiatus (syllable break between two vowels).
- (anatomy) A hiatus (opening in an organ).
Declension of hiatus (type vastaus)
hiatus m (plural hiatus)
- (gap): lacune
hiātus (genitive hiātūs); m, fourth declension