- Having the colour of blood; red.
- (obsolete, physiology) Having a bodily constitution characterised by a preponderance of blood over the other bodily humours, thought to be marked by irresponsible mirth; indulgent in pleasure to the exclusion of important matters.
- Characterized by abundance and active circulation of blood.
- a sanguine bodily temperament
- Warm; ardent.
- a sanguine temper
- Anticipating the best; optimistic; not despondent; confident; full of hope.
- sanguine of success
Not to be confused with sanguinary.
having the colour of blood; red
anticipating the best
sanguine (plural sanguines)
- Blood colour; red.
- Anything of a blood-red colour, as cloth.
- Red crayon. See the Note under crayon, 1.
anything of a blood-red colour
- (reds) red; blood red, brick red, burgundy, cardinal, carmine, carnation, cerise, cherry, cherry red, Chinese red, cinnabar, claret, crimson, damask, fire brick, fire engine red, flame, flamingo, fuchsia, garnet, geranium, gules, hot pink, incarnadine, Indian red, magenta, maroon, misty rose, nacarat, oxblood, pillar-box red, pink, Pompeian red, poppy, raspberry, red violet, rose, rouge, ruby, ruddy, salmon, sanguine, scarlet, shocking pink, stammel, strawberry, Turkey red, Venetian red, vermillion, vinaceous, vinous, violet red, wine (Category: en:Reds)