Alternative forms edit
From Proto-Tai *nwoːŋ (“younger sibling”). Cognate with Northern Thai ᨶᩬ᩶ᨦ, Lao ນ້ອງ (nǭng), Lü ᦓᦸᧂᧉ (noang²), Tai Dam ꪙ꫁ꪮꪉ, Shan ၼွင်ႉ (nâ̰ung), Ahom 𑜃𑜨𑜂𑜫 (noṅ), Bouyei nuangx, Zhuang nuengx, nongx, Tày noọng.
n ˆ ɒ ŋ
- younger brother; younger sister.
- younger person.
- (slang) baby; infant; young child.
- (slang, sometimes considered offensive) subordinate; inferior; servant.
- used as a title or term of address
- used as a title for or term of address to a younger brother, younger sister, or younger person; used by such person to refer to oneself when speaking to an elder brother, elder sister, or older person.
- used as an affectionate title for or term of address to a beloved, younger person; used by such person to refer to oneself when speaking to a beloved, older person.
- (slang) used as an affectionate title for or term of address to an animal or object.
- 2021 March 6, ภัทรานิษฐ์ ลิ้มปติยากร, 3:34 from the start, in น้ำตาแทบไหล !!! 400,000 Sub แบบโจ๊ะโจ๊ะ!!, กรุงเทพฯ: ภัทรานิษฐ์ ลิ้มปติยากร, via Loverrukk:
- (colloquial, sometimes considered offensive) used as a title for or term of address to a subordinate, inferior, or servant.
- พี่ (pîi)