just; honorable; public; common; fair; duke; mister
(legal) case; incident; record; file; table
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): gung1 on3
- Min Nan (POJ): kong-àn
- Wu (Wiktionary): kon oe (T1)
- Min Nan
Middle Chinese: /kuŋ ʔɑnH/
- (old) court table (used by a judge)
- (old) complicated legal case
- (old) much discussed issue; sensational affair
|Kanji in this term|
公 (public) 案 (record). A public record serves as a metaphor for principles of reality beyond the private opinion of one person, and a teacher may test the student's ability to recognize and understand that principle.