Alternative forms edit
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌpuːtɒŋˈhwɑː/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌputɔŋˈhwɑ/
- (US, cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˌputɑŋˈhwɑ/
Proper noun edit
- Standard Mandarin, the official language of the People's Republic of China; the state-designated national speech of the Han nationality using Beijing pronunciation as the standard pronunciation, Beijing speech as the basic dialect, and the model writing of the modern vernacular prose as the norm for grammar.
- 2019, Li Huang, James Lambert, “Another Arrow for the Quiver: A New Methodology for Multilingual Researchers”, in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, →DOI, page 10:
- As a mainland China national, the counter for our trial was fluent in English, Putonghua, and the Sichuan dialect, and was familiar with a number of other major Chinese languages such as Cantonese and Hakka.
the official language of the People's Republic of China — see also Mandarin