- IPA(key): /ˈtoːtˌʃlaːk/ (standard)
- IPA(key): /ˈtoːtˌʃlax/, /-ˌʃlaːx/ (northern and central Germany; chiefly colloquial)
- (law) manslaughter; second-degree murder; an unlawful killing of a person which is subject to a milder punishment than murder
- The specific definition of Totschlag is distinct from the understanding of “manslaughter” in the Anglophone world. It also varies somewhat between the respective German-speaking countries. Generally, however, Totschlag is an intentional killing that lacks certain aggravating properties. A typical case example of Totschlag is a killing in the heat of the moment.
- In informal contexts, Totschlag is often improperly distinguished from Mord (“murder”) or merged with it. Speakers are likely to use Mord for cases that do not legally qualify as murder.
Declension of Totschlag (uncountable)
- Totschlag in Duden online