Audio (AU) (file)
act up (third-person singular simple present acts up, present participle acting up, simple past and past participle acted up)
- (intransitive, idiomatic) To misbehave; to cause trouble.
- My allergies act up during hay fever season.
- Children may act up in class in an effort to get attention.
- (intransitive, idiomatic) To perform the duties of an appointment senior to that actually held; to deputise for a superior. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- Acting up is always recommended when you find yourself under a new boss.
to misbehave, cause trouble