- (nautical) Beyond the head (of a ship). This may have drifted into more general English usage where it is used to describe something as being 'in front of'.
ahead (not comparable)
- In or to the front; in advance; onward.
- The island was directly ahead.
- In the direction one is facing or moving.
- Just ahead you can see the cliffs.
- In or for the future.
- There may be tough times ahead.
- You've got to think ahead so as not to be unprepared.
- At an earlier time.
- He paid his rent ahead.
- Having progressed more.
- In all of his classes Jack was ahead.
in or to the front
in the direction one is facing or moving
in or for the future