See also: Apposition
In the phrase "my friend Alice" the name "Alice" is in apposition to "my friend".
- (grammar) A construction in which one noun or noun phrase is placed with another as an explanatory equivalent, either having the same syntactic function in the sentence.
- The relationship between such nouns or noun phrases.
- The quality of being side-by-side, apposed instead of being opposed, not being front-to-front but next to each other.
- A placing of two things side by side, or the fitting together of two things.
- In biology, the growth of successive layers of a cell wall.
- (rhetoric) Appositio
- (grammar): parathesis
biology: growth of successive layers of cell wall
rhetoric: appositio — see appositio