parathesis (plural paratheses)
- (grammar) The placing of two or more nouns in the same case; apposition.
- (rhetoric) A parenthetical notice, usually of matter to be afterward expanded.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Smart to this entry?)
- (printing) The matter contained within brackets.
- (religion) A commendatory prayer.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shipley to this entry?)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for parathesis in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)