See also: bad-ass
badass (plural badasses)
- (US, slang, negative connotation, vulgar) A mean or belligerent person; a person with unpleasantly extreme attitudes, behavior or appearance.
2015, Michael Shermer, The Moral Arc: How Science Makes Us Better People, ISBN 0805096930, page 59:
- Of course, to maintain a reputation that you are a badass, you actually have to occasionally be a badass, so pirates intermittently engaged in violence, reports of which they happily provided to newspaper editors, who duly published them in gory and exaggerated detail.
- Don't mess with that guy, he's a real badass.
- (US, youth slang, positive connotation, vulgar) A person considered impressive due to toughness, courage, and skill.
2013, Scott McEwen & Thomas Koloniar, Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip: A Novel, ISBN 1476746087, page 14:
- Known throughout the Spec-Ops community as the best of the best, they were the go-to badasses in the air for the go-to badasses on the ground, and Sandra was the first female pilot to be made a member.
slang: mean or belligerent person
- (US, slang, vulgar) Having extreme appearance, attitude, or behavior that is considered admirable.
- That tough guy looks badass.
- (US, slang, vulgar) Troublesome and belligerent.
having extreme appearance, attitude, or behavior that is considered admirable (slang)