Etymology 1 edit
- (of a structure) firm; secure; steady
- (of a person) sure; certain; positive
- Chắc hông?
- Are you sure?
- Chắc mà!
- I'm certain!
Derived terms edit
- (after a verb) firmly; securely
- nắm chắc ― to have a firm grip
- (after a verb) surely; certainly; for sure
- biết chắc ― to know for sure
- (at the start of a clause) probably; maybe
- Chắc nó không đến đâu.
- I don't think he's coming.
- Chắc chẳng có ai ở nhà.
- Maybe nobody's home.
- (colloquial) Marks a rhetorical question, often with an indignant tone
- Synonym: à
- Nó tưởng nó ngon lắm chắc?
- He really thinks he's all that, huh?
- Tưởng có tiền thì muốn làm gì thì làm chắc?
- They think they can get away with anything just because they have money?
Usage notes edit
- As a particle, chắc carries a harsher tone than the nearly synonymous à.
Etymology 2 edit
Cognate with Arem cak ("each other").